Sunday, January 13, 2013

Homemaking Day!

Well, my husband took the kids out for the day so I've been at loose ends alone with the cat. I took the opportunity to sleep in, then felt energetic.

I got up, fired up iTunes, cleaned the kitchen and then proceeded to make:

Lentil stew:
  • organic red lentils
  • onions
  • potatoes
  • cumin
  • seasoning (this time no-MSG Vegeta - sometimes hard to find)
  • fresh parsley added at the end
 I need some groceries, otherwise I would have put carrots and celery in the stew as well. We always top each serving with a splash of extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Home baked bread:
  • freshly milled organic hard red wheat
  • 1 cup of homemade 7 grain cereal mix (we cracked the grains ourselves, all from organic sources)
  • salt
  • sugar
  • yeast
  • filtered water
Eggless Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies:
  • more freshly milled wheat (I always use whole wheat for baking, even if the recipe calls for white)
  • unsalted butter
  • almond butter
  • cocoa powder
  • sea salt
  • pure vanilla
  • baking powder and soda
  • substituted almond milk for milk
 I didn't have eggs so I searched on Allrecipes for something. First time trying this one out. With the whole wheat, the dough looks fairly dark, esp. with the cocoa powder. I also added walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chunk.
Verdict? Very nice, light and crispy. Will add this recipe to my collection :) Kids will be happy when they get back home.


Made good progress on my hand warmers. They're now almost 10 inches long, so the 50g ball has given me good mileage. Not bad for only two days knitting. They should work very nicely when scootering. It also feels quite serendipitous that the stripes seem to match up. I didn't intentionally do that, I just split my ball and started knitting and now I have matching mitts :)

I also used to have an issue when changing from the knit stitch to purl, esp. in the borders of cables, or 2 x 2 ribbing. The last knit stitch before the transition was always loose. I've since found that if I push down the purl bump between the stitches, it seemed to help. Recently I found an even better remedy: On the first purl stitch after the knit stitch, I give an extra swing to my right tip (I knit continental) and this pulls the stitch tighter. My ribbing looks very even:

I used my iPod to stretch out the ribbing.

So, I think I've been very productive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment